When a 12-year-old Spanish boy set up a Google AdWords account, he thought it'd make money for his brass band. He couldn’t have been more wrong.
Mums and dads today face a problem that their parents never had to contend with — teaching children how not to spend money online.
Unfortunately, it’s a lesson that the parents of Jose Javier from Torrevieja, Spain, must have skipped.
Advertising gone wrong
Twelve-year-old Jose was a keen member of his local brass band, but there was a problem — the band didn’t have enough money to buy the instruments it needed. So Jose stepped up to save the day.
Using the details of a savings account set up in his name, Jose opened a Google AdWords account to raise money for the band. If Jose were trying to advertise a concert or a fundraising effort for the band, then maybe this would’ve worked.
But Jose made one big mistake. He started to click on his own ad, believing that each click would earn him money. How wrong he was.
Whatever you say about Jose, you can’t say that he wasn’t dedicated. He clicked his own ad enough times to rack up a €100,000 bill from Google. Probably more cash than most 12-year-olds have hanging around.
A happy ending
Luckily for Jose (and his parents), Google saw what had happened and let Jose off.
This story just goes to show how simple misunderstandings can lead to major problems.
The same is especially true when it comes to health and safety. But, working with us, this won't be a problem in your workplace.
Our attention to detail and carefully designed policies and procedures are always clearly communicated and acted on. And that means that we're always on top of any potential health and safety problems — so you don’t have to worry.
We don't make a song and dance out of safety (or play any brass instruments), we simply know what we’re doing, and get on with it.
Find out more about what we can do for you and your business.